A lot has changed in Surfing Australia’s Coaching and Accreditation education platform and we’re here to help.
If you are passionate about surfing and want to make a difference in the sport you love, surf coaching could be a great opportunity for you to get involved.
This page is here to help with any questions you have. A lot of you may have recently received an email stating that your qualifications is soon to expire.
- The Coaching Level One accreditation is now called, The Foundation Coaching Course.
- The Level Two accreditation is now called, The Progression Coaching Course
- Both these accreditations are to be renewed every year, with a $55 renewal fee.
- All educational courses including judging are now completed online, this platform is called LMS ( Learning management System)- it’s a great way for our coaches in rural areas to have the opportunity to become a surf coach.
- The LMS system requires a separate login & password to your go membership profile. This is sent via email after purchasing the course.
- Only the learning modules are completed on the LMS system. Please ensure you upload your credentials to your GO membership profile.
- A “Qualification”: refers to your overall certificate e.g Foundation Coaching Course
- A “Credential” refers to, an additional certificate you hold to ensure your qualification is active e.g Surf Safety certificate.
- We don’t issue a final certificate. If your employer needs a formal certificate please use the certificate you received after finishing your LMS online learning.
- Play by rules is new! Surfing Australia wants to align with the national sporting body.
- CPR certificate needs to be refreshed every year now.
- All accreditations are only valid for one year. The reason we have done this is to monitor the credentials closely to ensure all coaches are up-to-date.
- Now GO membership ( new Website) will remind you when your credentials are expiring, so you can keep yup to date. Your surf school owners can see whether your credentials are active or not.
Firstly, Surfing Australia and all its states are now operating on a website called GO Membership. Yes, it looks super different but essentially this host everything that has a transaction attached to it. E.g. event entries, state membership, and coaching accreditations.
By clicking HERE you will be sent to your profile on GO membership to complete all these transactions.
Last October you were sent an email stating that all your information from our past website has been moved across to GO Membership. All that was needed was for you to create a password.
- If you haven’t already done this, go to your junk mail or inbox and search “GO Membership“.
- Once you have done this, hit the link to reset your password. The password reset link may take up to seven minutes to be sent back to your inbox.
- If you don’t receive this, have a duplicate profile or need an email address changed. Please contact email@example.com who can amend this for you.
Welcome to your GO Membership profile.
- Have a play around and familiarise yourself with your new profile.
- Add your surf school to the My Clubs along with Surfing QLD if you haven’t already.
- See the right section of the image – Select Clubs
- You will see your Foundation Surf Coach or Progression Surf Coach: ACTIVE, INACTIVE or PENDING.
- If its Inactive, please proceed to the next steps.
- Start by selecting the credentials tab. Here is where you upload all your certificates so they are all in one place.
- From here, ensure you add credential and remember, you need eight credentials to have an active accreditation.
- Please make sure you select the correct start and end date.
Eight Important Documents:
Surfing Australia has introduced this structure, to keep everyone safe and your surf school owner insured. Below are the eight important documents you will need to upload to your profile.
- Certificate of completion for the Foundation Coaching Course/Renewal certificate online component- Coaches whose accreditation expired more than two years ago must complete a renewal on the LMS system, then upload. Coaches who are in date or just expired, please upload your current coaching certificate (cost $55, covers coaching license).
- Completed Foundation Coaching logbook- Existing coaches are to upload their old coaching certificate or coaching card.
- Current Ocean Safety qualification (Surf Rescue Certificate, Bronze Medallion or Ocean Safety Surf Coach Award)
- Current First Aid qualification (HLTAID003)
- Current CPR qualification (HLTAID001) – CPR is included in your First Aid qualification, however, CPR expires every one year. Re-upload your First aid qualification if CPR is still in date.
- Current Working With Children Check – if you are under 18, please upload a word document stating you are under 18, and set your expiry date you the date you turn 18 years old.
- Certificate of completion for the Play by the Rules – Child Protection course – Yes, this is a new requirement.
- Current state association membership – Upload a screenshot of your membership on your profile, or receipt of payment (covers personal accident insurance)
Well done, you’re finished. We’ll approve everything and you’re good to coach.
Foundation Surf Coaching Course
Want the best job in the world? Start your career in surf coaching today with the Foundation Surf Coaching Course (formerly Level 1 Surf Coaching Course).
The role of a Surfing Australia Foundation Coach is to introduce beginner surfers to the sport in a safe, fun and supportive manner that goes beyond simple instruction of skill.
You’ll also be eligible for nationwide employment as a coach at any of our 100+ Surfing Australia affiliated surf schools.
Progression Surf Coaching Course
Becoming a Surfing Australia Progression Surf Coach (formerly level 2 Surf Coach) is a fulfilling experience where you’ll give intermediate and advanced surfers the opportunity to further develop their skills both in and out of the water.
You’ll support surfers in their technical, physical and psychological development as they transition to more advanced levels of surfing and for some, a competitive career.
Important note: you must hold a Foundation Surf Coach accreditation for a minimum of 12 months before you can enrol in the Progression Surf Coaching Course.
Foundation SUP Coaching Course
Want the best job in the world? Start your career in coaching today with the Foundation SUP Coaching Course (formerly Flat Water SUP Coach Course).
The role of a Surfing Australia Foundation SUP Coach is to introduce beginner stand-up paddle boarders to the sport in a safe, fun and supportive manner that goes beyond the simple instruction of skill.
You’ll also be eligible for nationwide employment as a coach at any of our 100+ Surfing Australia affiliated surf and SUP schools.